Friday, January 21, 2011

Tangled in Controversy

Hokay, appart from Disney's Tangled being a triumphant return to the fairytale, I had two observations:

Numero Uno:

The side kick actively kills the bad guy. Like it's thought out. Mother Gothel is going to fall out the window and rather than try to stop it or even just let it happen, Pascal actively participates by tripping her in the last moments. Pascal is EVIL.


Also, the androgynous chameleon wears a pink dress and it's funny. So, thats weird.

All I'm saying is expect him to go postal in the Direct-To-Disney-DVD sequel.

Numero Duo:

So the whole plot is about Rapunzel inheriting healing powers from a magical sunshine flower and being locked away in a tower until her 18th birthday. Not to be all slapped in the face with subtext but Disney has just released their first fairytale about virginity*.

Flyn Rider, the thief turned unlikely hero with super human good looks gets his chance to "take her flower" at the end. And he does, when she "gives it to him" through her magic tear to save him from death.

Its all very sweet and poetic and symmetrical, but what it really burns down to is a girl giving her flower away. And he repays her with a smothered boob hug. "I've always had a thing for brunettes" lol. Thus:


Anyhew, it just strikes me odd that no one else thought of this.

Also let me point out I cried like a girl even after 3 viewings.

*yeah, I know most fairy tales are about loss of innocence. But this is literal.

11 comments:

  1. Kenney.... you are so right! I declare you a genius. Just watched this for a second time yesterday. Utterly brilliant film. :) xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've seen it 3 times so far. Its AMAZING :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a return to old school Disney and what Disney does best. I've heard rumours that this is the last princess film as they want to appeal to a wider audience... devastated!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have the typical man mnd and the "subtext" is all your own. It's great movie with adult humor because let's face it, the kids don't get it and were the real target audience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @anonymous: That's what SHE said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'M COMMENTING BECAUSE THERE ARE NO NEW POSTS TO COMMENT ON FROWNY FACE NO PUNCTUATION

    ReplyDelete
  7. whats a boob hug? i have literally never heard of that before. and i have boobs, and enjoy a nice hug. so, you can imagine my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @blue dress: lol. I just felt it was an awkward angle they animated. It looks like he's pressing his face against her chest, and a little weird/clumsy, which is probably the animator's fault really.
    I recommend you watch tangled again. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite line of this movie...

    Rapunzel: "When my hair is cut it turns brown and looses all power, because brown hair has no power."

    Disney has clearly fallen back on thier old ways with this film. This is not what we want our kids to be hearing. Especially brown, or heaven forgid, black haired girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @arishansir. I tend to agree with that on the subconscious film level. But also, I feel they did their best at covering their tracks with the hot guy blatantly pointing out she looked hotter now without the blonde. Also, she looked like her mother, and her hero's journey was to find a home and a family. So emotionally she's fine with the loss of powers, which also makes us feel okay about it. Plus, Pascal stuck around. WIN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO shocked that anyone would have a sick enough mind to think a CHILDREN'S movie has to do with sex. Get over yourself and watch this movie again with a new brain. This is the best movie ever and if your too dumb to realize that, don't call yourself an American! Thanks

    ReplyDelete