Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Drowsey Production Values


The MTC production of THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, staring Geoffrey Rush was just that: Drowsy. And Lousy.

Rush was totally wrong for the Broadway obsessed recluse Man In Chair. He was far too youthful I felt.

The cast was obscenely down beat, without any power of the original broadway cast. And the Set was an unimaginative mishmash of set pieces carefully (and illogically) jigsawed together.

The result was a show that lacked.. luster. In essence a lackluster production.

It had its moments, but on the whole a waste of my money.

I can't express how wrong rush got it. So many lines were missed. So much comedy was lacking.

And Janette? Talk about a let down! No one can compare to Sutton Foster. This actress was neither in shape or prepared for the supposed-to-be-show-stopping SHOW OFF. Which, I was so underwhelmed with I refused to clap.

The best performance was easily from Robbert, who was perfect for the happy go lucky ott groom to be. Also, Kenney (that toilet guy) was okayish in his Mr Feldzieg role.

I really don't know why I bother coming to Melbourne to see these shows. Spamalot was just as bad (if not; more).

Fruit of the Moment: Disappointment Dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment