Monday, April 26, 2010

The Jam was imported


Look at how far I ran this morning. In miles. I must have passed by about 20 people on my travels of Port Kembla. Everyone was in a real good mood. They all said hello back for once. Perhaps it was the public holiday.

It was a beautiful day for a birthday too. Unfortunately it was not my birthday, rather Glen's 27th celebration. During breakfast he came back from surfing, disappointed that the waves had not swelled as the forecast had promised they would.

I decided today would be a great day to stay still. To stay dormant, and to catch up on a few creative projects that have been running around the lap track in my brain.

Glen saw to it that the day was to be spent out and about in Bowral and Fitzroy Falls. He used the cunning and ultimate Power of the Birthday to "make us get ready". Leila and I were compelled to get ready quick smart.

The Power of the Birthday you see, grants the birthday person anything they desire. Washing up, cleaning, fetching bowls of delicious foods, all these could be yours to delegate with the ultimate power.

So, we set off for Bowral. It was the perfect day for it. Beautiful sun and the perfect temperature. The Coffee was superb and the drive was picturesque. I even got to refine my small talk techniques with Leila's Aunt Marianne on the drive there.

Not surprisingly, our lunch turned into a spotlight on how difficult I can make life for others. I had planned on ordering the Vegetarian Burger Salad Platter. It was discovered that the vegetarian ball of lentils and chickpeas were in fact prepared in a deep fryer. This eliminated that option. So, I tried the salad toasted wholegrain sandwich option. This turned into an abundantly disastrous choice.

The manager took it upon herself to change my order into something more presentable. And so after I had settled on my sandwich, she asked me If I wanted an arty looking salad instead. I hadn't thought this question through and assumed that the previous waitress had written down all my instructions with the previous order. (She hadn't) But wanted to please the manager, so agreed to her new plan.

As a result, the wholegrain bread was forgotten and replaced with white, the greens and tomato salad magically turned into roast sweet potatoes, covered in (of course) oil along with wanky lettuce soaked in dressing.

I decided to not send the whole meal back. But instead complain about one thing. This turned out to be the bread. So I told the waitress, that this wasn't the bread I had ordered and that I in fact originally wanted multigrain, and that as there had been so much confusion I just wanted additional bread on the bill. When it came out finally, the bread was thicker than a deck of cards and there was four enormous slices.

I'm just over it at this point. I didn't want to eat anymore. Meanwhile, no one else at the table had gotten anything to eat and Leila's aunt continued to go without the water she ordered despite our coffees.

I ended up with no food and a foul mood. Leila was angry at me; most likely for being difficult at a cafe she really likes, one which I wont have the opportunity to go to again, where as she will. The difficult thing was really when she told me I wasn't allowed to complain about something, change the order and then not eat whatever it was they replaced it with. And of course I'm allowed. As long as I pay for it, why not?

And the waitress seemed to find my salad sandwich with no butter, oils, cheeses or avocado obscenely difficult to manage along with her temper.

No one won here. It was just like Monopoly.

Thankfully, the mood lifted when a waiter arrived with everyone's orders AND my original order. It was perfect (ironically). Besides the bread which I removed. I was so amused I couldn't stop laughing with Glen... It lightened my mood immediately. And I ate my cubed cucumber with gusto.

Glen was even happy to drive me all the way to Campbelltown after our visit to Fitzroy Falls as I had forgotten to pack my Video Camera for tomorrow night's LOVESONG promo shoot with Peter. I got to ride with him on a motorcycle for 2 hours and 2o minutes with a 5 minute break at my house to pick up the camera.

The ride back to Woolongong was bitter cold. So cold, my legs were unable to stand on their own properly. It was concerning when I fell into the shower recess while climbing in. I didn't slip, my legs just gave way and buckled. The hot water soon woke them up. But I was still very shaky on my feet.

We were joined by Pam, Greg and Marianne for dinner. The roast for two turned into a roast for five. Our post roast Catan game was disappointingly boring. We resolved to amend the amendment we originally made to the extended player rules back to the official rules as it would liven up the game play.

Interestingly, even with the least amount of pieces on the board I ended up with five victory points, (the most out of everyone) when we decided to call it quits at 10pm. Greg and Pam needed to drive back to the Blue Mountains. So a half victory for me.

And for some reason, this evening I was so hungry that my dinner just wasn't enough. An extra 2 pieces of toast just 10 minutes ago attempted to satisfy the munchies. And even my yogurt dessert which I bulked up to include cut up fruit didn't hit the spot. I STILL continue to starve, should I eat a little more before bed? Yes.

Happy Birthday Glen. Sorry for being a fussy pain in the ass.

Fruit of the Moment: Sultana Weevil

No comments:

Post a Comment