Saturday, May 15, 2010

Champion


Waking up to the carpet of frost and hurriedly racing for the toilet block, I realized that I was not getting back to sleep easily.

I took a walk down to the camp office as it was time they had advertised "opening hours". However, I was upset to find they were quite closed, despite the 30 minutes that had passed since they were meant to be open. *sigh*

A motivating factor in staying awake was the unshaken pancake mixture. Finding a flat, concrete surface such as the septic tank entrance, I set up my little gas cooker and was on my way. 20 minutes later and the septic tank pancakes were cooking beautifully. And they were the most delicious golden pockets of awesomeness evah!

It was such a beautiful day, when the sun actually decided to come to the party, peeking out from behind the tree tops and defrosting our white carpet. I decided then to retry the office to pay my camping fees. This time, I took Noah for good luck.

Noah had other plans of hunting for man-eating-wombats. So carefully using my powers of negotiation, we maneuvered our way towards the office still in search of the fictitious wombats.

Thinking I had ages until my sister arrived, I set to work finishing the tent I had half constructed in the the dark last night. I was about to fill up the air mattress when they made their jolly way down the dusty road. Apparently, they had gotten up earlier than I had anticipated.

It was definitely a food day. As Tuneil passed around chocolate cake and banana cake, I found myself greedily eating 2 slices of the banana selection. My head started to pound like gangbusters. I assumed it was due to the massive amounts of sugar and butter I had consumed over the past 24 hours. That or my lack of coffee. Either way, it was a bad sign. Sleeping it off didn't help. but the Nurofen Plus and cup of instant coffee did the trick.

I had me an afternoon of sitting, and cooking toast and making wedding plans and buying Vegemite and chill-axing and hunting for firewood and bundling kindling... Getting colder much earlier than yesterday, we were forced to cease our laziness and start the fire.


Our efforts were not as rewarded as yesterday either. We managed a small bundle of glowing coals. Bust our lack of an axe or any decent sized firewood prevented us from achieving a shit load of warmth and flame.

Dinner was provided by Tuneil's Easy Mac Pack. The cheesy macaroni goodness was especially awesome, perhaps even matching the deliciousness of the Septic Tank pancakes.

The little flame we had died down early on in the darkness and so did our enthusiasm for staying up past 8pm. By 7, the air was so void of light and the stars were such beacons it felt like 2am.

I forgot how we manged to get there, but there was a stage where Tuneil, Louise and I were (for lack of a better adjective) Dry-Humpng Justin in our boredom. I think the excuse we used was "retrieving a stolen phone" In any case, a fun time was had by all. Especially Justin who won the rumble, Not that his bulging ego could use any more inflating, but their you are.

My thermal underwear were a welcome bed time comfort. Along with the double sleeping bag arrangement.

Fruit of the Moment: Camping Butter Toast

No comments:

Post a Comment