Sunday, May 30, 2010

Inspired me to take an acting course

The final two shows of LOVESONG began with a blind panic.

Email.
Everyone.
I know.

Once the initial panic wore off I managed to drive my sister and Manal into the city to help me spruik the show on the streets of Newtown with the remaining fliers.

Having fought the good fight there, I could live the rest of my day at peace knowing I gave it a shot.

Leila and Glen were waiting for me at the gates of the PACT theatre when I walked down from Kings street. Seeing them there helping me in this way, giving up their entire weekend to work for me and the success of the production made overwhelmed me.

They did all the work. They got the sets ready and the front of house spotless. I managed to make my last minute adjustments to the lighting and make my director's notes with the cast and the crew. Its strange how quickly an hour goes.

Before I knew it, 17 more happy patrons came in through the door. This was the performance to take my happy snaps. Glen had brought his it-cost-more-than-my-life-insurance-payout camera, so I proceeded to loudly click away during the first performance of the day.

Then dismissing the cast and crew for dinner break, I happily stayed behind chatting with Louis followed later by the cast who had returned from stir crazy.

Our last show was for lack of a better term, perfect. Especially Pete's "i'm very angry" scene. The cast were on fire, the audience ballooned to 38 and so many awesome people turned up.

There was Tim and Grant, who were my original cast and screw when putting on backyard plays for our parents.

There was Greg and Pam who traveled down from the Blue Mountains!

There was Mr Wednesday! Who, turned up with a female friend of his sending myself in a flurry of discussion and ponderings with my super spies (a.k.a Louise, Leila and Pam). 

Louise pointed out he couldn't bring a guy if he was interested. And Pam wisely added that their body language painted friendship. Lyn suggested we put the public liability to use and have an unfortunate "farming incident".

After the show, Bump out lasted for all of two seconds before the waiting game began. We had all cleared out by 8pm and said our final goodbyes by 8:30 when a seemingly irrelevant breakdown in communication turned my night into a very long stretch indeed.

Seems Gen had not remembered offering her table to use as a prop. For some reason or another this ended up with me getting home at 1am instead of the projected 11pm.

In anycase, I'd like to thank all the amazing people who made my dream a reality over the past couple of days, weeks or months.

Mum and Dad for their support and understanding and belief in me.
Louis for his Stage Managerial Awesomeness.
Chris Fung for manning the Auditions.
Maureen for her support and paper.
Leon for making the music real and being one of the Queensland boys.
Lyn and Ron for being truly amazing and passionate people.
Louise and Brendan for being there when I needed them.
Gen for listening and opinionating and clarifying and directing.
Leila for driving the motorcycle in the rain.

And most of all Glen, whom I really couldn't have done any of this without and he knows it.

Next.

Fruit of the Moment: Pam's Famous Monte Carlos

No comments:

Post a Comment