Friday, October 15, 2010

let me fight my gag reflex first

An excerpt from my cover letter dated October 15th, 2010:

"This opportunity would provide a challenging and satisfying work environment, combining my skills across several career paths. I am a dedicated hard worker with a keen eye for detail and a passion for colour theory. I am familiar with the pre-press process, and have worked on all facets of design from conception, photography through to print or distribution. Not to mention being an avid fan of the Nigella Lawson series. With my education and experience, I feel I can make a valuable contribution to your publishing firm."

Fairly satisfying to submit my first few resumes of the job hunting season. Especially when it's for jobs I'm actually excited about.

For the rest of the day however, I made sure I was watching videos of Josh Thomas on Youtube.

Tomorrow, I have an audition for Rockdale Musical Society's Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Since seeing the show in America last year, I've been a big fan. Hence, I'm more than nervous about the success of tomorrow's audition. The odds are definitely against my favour.

I'm never good at auditions. I get all jittery and spluttery and usually screw up lyrics. Opening night? I'm cool as a cucumber. Speaking in front of a group of people? Nerves of steel. But put me at the mercy of three smiling people there to judge if they can work with you for three months in rehearsals to resemble something not unsimilar to the character you audition for and... I crumble. Plus, you give your music to a poor piano player who's a) never heard of the song before and b) forced to sight read on the spot. It just makes you more nervous when the timing is not what you have in your head.

Enter the other reasons why tomorrow will be nerve-wracking...
1.There are other talented people audition. People I would cast in the role I want if I were directing.
2. The MD (musical director) reminds me that I sing off key. This sprawls back to CATS rehearsals when I sang the wrong harmony. Loudly. Since, he hasn't let me forget it. I can never tell if he's just fucking with me or really believes it.
3. Mix this in with knowing half the casting committee and you have sad pandas in your stomach.

So, I'll be psyching up in the car tomorrow morning driving to Wollongong. Lets see how many words I'll forget this time eh? I will be channeling a very talented actor by the name of Matt Smith tomorrow. Hopefully, this will help me focus the character of FREDDY more.

Fingers crossed. I WANT THIS. lol.

Fruit of the Moment: Dim Sim

No comments:

Post a Comment