Sunday, October 31, 2010

Alpha Male


Last night, was pretty sleepless on the cold floor of the hostel. I knew it would have made more sense to drive home and drive back into the city. Not that the floor was uncomfortable. The floor was great. The lack of soap and towels and other random things that come with home living were sorely missed, particularly after having traversed half of Newtown in search of a cab the night previous. And using other people for charity was irksome, reminding me of my current lack of employment.

When trying to solve the riddle of what to have for breakfast, the gang galloped into a comic book store. Brendan and Noah became attached at the hip, while Tuneil scoured the shelves for... (perhaps Firefly?) Having a fairly sick Louise on my hands, I pulled her away from the comics, heading towards a nearby cafe where much food was ordered to quench their hangover pains. The rest joined us shortly thereafter and the breakfast feast for 5 totalled around $90.

We headed off from there to Sculptures by the Sea; a collaborative art installation along the Bondi coast walk. It was less than inspiring really. A few quirky pieces but all in all, too crowded, windy, and noisy to be considered a real cultural delight.

I had hoped to visit Manly for the Ben and Jerry's scoop shop. But by the time 2pm came around, it wasn't really on the cards anymore and we settled to visit another time.

It became apparent too late that we had missed out on lunch. So, Tuneil and Louise thought a late Newtown lunch with a possible cameo of No-Show-Justin would be a fine plan to execute. Trouble was, No-Show-Justin remained true to his name. Also, the cafe on Louise's mind had closed their kitchen with only coffee and cake on the menu after 3pm.

Being therefore all tired and grumpy from no food, we all lost interest in having fun. I was looking forward to a cafe for "lunch" because I was feeling a little sick myself and only really wanted something small. Perhaps a cookie. Perhaps a muffin. Louise was however in need of something more substantial to settle her stomach pains.

I suggest Tart Cafe and felt alive enough to walk the 1.5kms to Erskineville. But once again, I prove too egocentric for others who didn't feel up-to the hike. And then, when we got there, they had only JUST stopped food service to tables. Bastards. So across the road was a pizza parlour that intrigued a few people. Sadly, pasta and pizza and potatoes all looked too heavy for me, especially being 4pm and close to dinner. (Also on the way there, I found a tiny 100ml tub of creamy creamy Ben and Jerry's Vanilla ice-cream at a random cafe. Eating that rich cream on an empty stomach made me real queazy.)

Anyway, I ditched my planned Spring Awakening audition in North Sydney, and came home to update mum's iPhone with new software.

Fruit of the Moment: caramelised banana with dusted cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment