Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hocus Pocus

Today, I tasted celebrity* like the moist blueberry muffin it is. Working at local school Thomas Acres, I joined pals Justin and Tuneil at their posts. And quite literally. I took Justin's class for 2 hours of RFF during which we sat silently for a minute at the 11th hour.

I have no idea what Remembrance Day is about. All I know is since Kindergarten, I stand still for a minute at 11am on the 11th of November. And there's red flowers involved. Called Poppies.

In any case, this morning when Justin told me to go through what it was all about, I was like err... okay? And made a quick stop at Wikipedia to "thoroughly" research the topic. Then, it was easy to provide a generic overall feel of the ceremony, talking of war and treaties and poetry and symbolism. I feel, just like it went over my head at 11 years old, the same applied here.

I always feel like I never know anything, which is strange because so much of what I know is so unobtainable to others. I feel this way because I pretty much choose to stay ignorant of all current events and politics and fill up on cinema, design and cupcakes. Should I be different? Should I choose to ignore Pop culture and focus on what Julia Gillard is up to? I don't really feel I want to, but is that bad?

In anycase, I fumble through. Intellectually inferior to you all, save for a few minor details which are in some cases even trumped by my close friends. Just sayin'.

I had coffee with Tuneil and Justin after school today. I can't for the life of me remember when it was "just-us-girls" ya know? It was real good just us three (and Noah of course). Afterwards Justin put his blinkers on to race around for a pink shirt, given that tomorrow he was attending a breast cancer event. I was struggling on my own as Noah continued to push his way around me. It took a lot of talking to get an apology out of him after he punched me in the eyes while riding my shoulders. Just sayin'. It just tells me how much I'd screw up raising any child on my own. I'm too soft.

Tonight I visited me mate for his 17th. He got a Mac worth like a gagillion bagillion dollars off his parents. I'm pretty much jealous as all heck. Also, he was wearing tracksuit pants like five times too big for him. You know, the ones that dancers wear when they need to move around a lot? Yeah them. I also suspect they were ironed but didn't inquire (enquire? Whatever).

Fruit of the Moment: Front Loader Washing Powder
*Tuneil had made sure that everyone in the school knew who I was from head to toe. It was a welcoming I never expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment