Monday, June 14, 2010

i drove on a road yesterday!

When your mother tells you not to go overboard with your sister's 21st Birthday cake, it kinda is an invitation for madness.

Just as a general guide to how mad I became, I went through 2 kg of caster sugar and 5 packets of icing sugar. The result was a monstrosity of sweet sweet sugary awesomeness.

I got it through my head that I wouldn't follow a single recipe, rather combine five different recipes to form the worlds most synergetic cakealicious tower of omnomness.

I started with the custard layering from her 20th Birthday cake. Thick gooey vanillaness, smooth and yet chunky at the same time.

I then boiled a sweetened condensed milk can for 2 hours, to form a sickly sweet rich caramel sauce when combined with fresh whipping cream.

Simultaneously baking the first batch of cookies from my new cookbook: big, soft, chewy cookies; cream drops. And my first attempt at macaroons [in the pink variety] modifying the inside cream to a rhubarb custard.

Then, using all my cunning and knowledge know how, I invented the worlds first vanilla mudcake. Well, maybe not world's first. But there's definitely no chocolate. AND it took 4 hours to bake.

Layering several slices of the cooled cake, I meshed cookies and custards and caramels until I had something that resembled that disastrous 15 layer cake the Fairy Godmothers in Sleeping Beauty created. Complete with broomsticks holding up the layers and candles sliding down the handle.

I managed to recoup my losses at this first stacking attempt, scoop out all the failed cake layers with my bare hands (which tasted amazing might I add?) and created an accompanying 21st Birthday Trifle.

The 5 levels of cake that were 95% still intact remained behind. A final layer of pink Coconut Ice made the cake so ugly I decided to coat the whole shebang with bright white piped royal icing.

The 21 candles became a cage for the pile of pink macaroons that weren't consumed due to their stubborn resolve to stick to the baking tray crowning the mountain with just the right panache.

I just about collapsed upon completion.

Coffees consumed: 6

Taste Testing: Every single layer and ingredient :)

Number of people eating the cake tomorrow: 3

Images of said cake will come tomorrow incase my sister decides to snoop around here.

Fruit of the Moment: Twin Vanilla Pods

2 comments: