Saturday, June 12, 2010

Who's telling the story?


To wake up on the day of your sister's 21st birthday party and face the possibility of a day without coffee was, to say the least concerning.

More so was the stubbornness of my coffee addiction as I refused to eat breakfast until Dad came home with the donuts Mum hadn't ordered (and expected to be all pink). Dad had diligently bought me a blueberry muffin and to top it off a delicious long black.

Mum had us in a whirlwind of party prep, paper cutting, plastic taping and roll cutting. People started arriving including Jonathan, the photographer for some early photo prep and Maureen's entourage for cake and pie patrol. Even Bob the glass repair man was in and out in the shake of a hand. My car no longer has an enormous crack along the windscreen.

I was really chuffed when dad took me aside and asked if that photographer fellow was single. You know you have pretty cool parents when your Dad tries to set you up. Even if his gaydar is way off. WAY off. I thought it was cute of Dad anyhew.

Louise and Brendan turned up for the party, and by that time I was in full party mode. Running around introducing people, showing them the bar and the crazy booth and making pitt stops at the local Wino store to pick up some much needed vodka along with a truck load of french fries from the local chicken and chip store.

It was the fabulous fifties and a fabulous party. I hope my unprepared speech didn't offend anyone, as I was planning on not speaking at all. Mum however made it clear I had to.

Louise was beautiful in her 50's get-up and I'm totally looking forward to the photos yet to come. And even though I was insanely tired, I didn't overly mind hanging back until 2:30 am to drive people home. Its become a stock standard at my parent's shindigs.

Fruit of the Moment: Cookiedough Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment