Tuesday, June 8, 2010

u seem familair... have i met u?

One of the many drawbacks of being in a minority group such as "the gays" is that you can never tell if others belong to the same minority.

I have, for a long time suffered from the Queensland Syndrome or QS. Basically, QS is where I will develop a crush on a really nice guy who happens to like girls. The common link between many of these men (and there are at least five that I can count atm) is that they all originate from Queensland.

So, there it is. I'm constantly falling victim to QS. Which is why when I find that I've suddenly been taken by someone new, rather than ask if they are straight I will ask where they grew up. Today I realised that I've been developing a little crush. It dawned on me and I became incredibly aware of it.

And the best (and worst) part of any new potential boy is the anxiousness suffered from a) them liking you back and b) not growing up in Queensland.

Its so hard to judge these things. Especially when you're in the early stages of friendship. Especially when you are about to leave the country for two months. Do you try and push it a little more? Do you do nothing? Will you have missed your chance? Will you screw it up and lose a great mate to awkwardness? Does it matter that you've put on some extra padding around your waist? So much worry.

Sometimes its better to test potential men for QS as early as politely possible.

This is what I contemplated as I drove to and from work. And It gave me a smile, knowing that I could have found somebody to like more than a friend.

Fruit of the Moment: Caramel Indulgence

No comments:

Post a Comment