Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My favorite person here besides you

Today I found beauty in discourse.

The sensation of validation through sharing ideas with others is a keystone in my love of Buck's Rock.

I felt alive this morning. I felt excited. No longer restricted through fears or barriers. Like somehow my very being was projecting and inviting people to engage in conversation.

The older campers or CITs arrived on site this morning and brought with them a new felt enthusiasm for the summer.

Despite the one Achilles heel of the Publication shop balancing on the edge of a butchers cleaver at the crucial moment of deadline.

Our printer refused to heat set our printing plates. As it is every year and so will be forever more. Camp director Mickey set about to solve our problem by replacing the equipment, while I used my knowledge of plating to rectify what little time we had left to create our first publication of the summer. Later, he asked if I could personally research a solution to this. I am considering weather or not this would constitute as being a yes man.

Bob and Ian threw themselves into production as the plates refused to behave themselves, leaving ugly streaks running through every page.

Our eventual product was a fabulous result and a celebration of our skill base. Streaks were reduced with further alterations and such and the orientation guide was complete and was the first collation of the summer.

This evening I got a group together, rehearsing a contemporary Australian composition for Staff on Stage this Saturday. Aside from the obscenely difficult harmonies, the response was beautifully supportive. I feel that some in the group may feel obligated to continue, but it is their passion for passionate projects that keeps their enthusiasm alive for the piece.

Later, I found Set Designer Drew to be experiencing feelings similar to my first year at Buck's Rock. The excitement of sharing ideas in a collective of people who have the ability to not only understand you, but appreciate and love your contributions. true discourse followed. We were eventually the last to exit the dining hall after the meatiest conversation held since the beginning of camp.

Fruit of the Moment: Chicken as Eggplant

2 comments: