Sunday, August 15, 2010

Angry at the misspelling of vignette

I got a considerably higher amount of sleep last night. A personal best of 5 hours. Let it be known that I also consumed 1.5 litres of coffee today. Woah. Really? Shit.

Okay, so today was once again spent doing everyone else's job. While last night I fantasized about running away from camp, today I faced the sore reality of completing the yearbook, helping everyone else do it. And while I was told that trivial pages had been taken off my list so I had more time to do my more important designs, by the time 8pm came around, no one had done any of the things they had promised. So I spent my saturday night working instead of going out, like everyone else because it can't be done any other time.

Here's the problem with this year at Buck's Rock.

a) I applied for a job in Theatre. I didn't get it and there were two new directors this year. I was okay about not being successful with my theatre application, because generally the job goes to the previous year's director first. I was not okay, therefore when this wasn't the case.

b) Theres just no vegetarian options here at camp. How am I meant to eat protein? Are we to survive on tofu two times a week sparsely tosses around in ten times as many beans? Most nights, it will be pasta or rice. And I have been eating more dessert. Today, I skipped all meals entirely because there was just nothing there besides salad.

c) I had been since January, training for the New Milford 8. An eight mile run held here in July. 5 days before the race I somehow managed to twist my knee and now feel painful jabs when I try running. So I completely "wasted" all that training on nothing.

d) As a result of not being able to run, eating more cakes (just because theres nothing else and I'm depressed) and not sleeping well; I've been gaining weight AND getting moody about it.

e) I can never do my work during shop hours. I am usually torn between two things...
  • Assisting a camper with their project/teaching them photoshop / running mini workshops or,
  • Preparing artwork for the other two layout staff
It is disheartening when you can't work because your team isn't fully capable of following the printing process, or willing to put in the time to read the manual, or experiment it their own time with designs.
My job is not to be a layout supervisor. That is effectively Emma and Bob's role. However neither have really held anyone (including myself) accountable for anything wrong we have done this summer like taking extra hours off, or not supporting/enforcing shop procedures when they weren't followed.
This has lead to sloppy design work, an inconsistency with spelling, and at times mistakes with printing; be it with the wrong ink or on the wrong paper.

In any case, this results in me spending my day constantly repeating myself about basic design and procedures with my co workers and my nights free to do the work I was supposed to be doing during the day. Which leaves me without free time.

f) Theres not a single gay guy at camp this year. Not that It should matter, but I'm in Hicksville USA!? Without a homosexual in miles thanks to US gun laws... I'm JUST saying It would have been nice to get some "creative motivation" from a frivolous summer fling along with my demanding work hours you know? Whatever. Meant to be.

g) I havent been hanging out with anyone outside my area or played Catan in over 2 weeks. So that sucks too.

h) I haven't achieved a single project outside my shop. I wanted to make a vest this summer and haven't found the time. I wanted to put on NINE THIRTY SIX for the staff play, but schedules are jut far too conflicting and no one has made any effort to keep the rehearsal times we have been agreeing on.

i) Our coffee machine tastes like mould, so I can only buy or import my coffee from other shops. Which today worked because I just went in search of Marion's coffee filter with a jug of boiled water and Ian drove into town for Starbucks. But most days, there is not coffee.

So, thats the list. And it's now 3am. I hate this.

Fruit of the Moment: Apple Cheddar

No comments:

Post a Comment