Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I want your boob money

As far as expected emotional days go, today didn't really rank in the top ten. Last year, (and I realise comparing both years has become a little old hat here, but I like old hats) I was an emotional wreck. People were leaving left right and centre and the summer was disappearing without any hope of return. This year, I felt more of a relief as people started to depart.

That said, it is to be noted this past week has been simply awesome. With fun, friends and freedom I had the recipe to make my summer delicious; as it should have been since day one. Today was not an exception to this. Meaning it was great.

I of course slept in, only just making the breakfast cut off. The penultimate staff meeting however played second fiddle to finding out about the previous night's divorce explosion. A marriage broken; mirroring my current spirit for Buck's Rock. Let it be known that in my head I had soccer punched the responsible party in the balls for being dickish. Then the gonads. Then the scrotum. It should also be said that he spent most of the day isolated, staring into space (so a good punch in the patoodie wouldn't have done much anyhew).

Following the staff meeting, I had the gruelling task of evaluating my head of shop for Pub. Finding this task incredibly difficult would be the understatement of the century. Bob really is like a pseudo grandfather figure to me. He's sweet and caring and would do anything to make you happy. He's a wealth of knowledge and etc... But he's starting to really drop the ball in management of Pub. And that his lack of pulling people up on their lack of accountability was partly responsible for my "extended hours" made me sad sadness.

Don't get me wrong. Most of the blame ultimately rests with the camp director hiring a junior to fill a senior position. But the 9-5 attitude this year of staff got me down. Got me real down.

When people realised I was serious about not returning to Buck's Rock in 2011, there was a massive effort to change my mind. Some insisted I return to theatre, others said to kick out Cameron Nadler and replace him in evening activities. (Poor Nadler; such a mental bashing he got this year) But truthfully, it remains important to me that I find my feet, get a life and make peace with Buck's Rock before and if I return.

My favourite New Milford haunt this year The Sugar Hoot will be sorely missed. I visited no less than three times today. Once for cookies, once for milkshakes and once for coffees. All three times were sad and joyful.

Getting a paycheque also seemed like an adequate bookend to the summer. I had definitely earned it. The famous vortex of tears that followed after the final staff meeting had no effect on me whatsoever. That evening however, saying goodbye to my wife Marion for at least 2 years almost had me in tears. Instead we held each other, refusing to let go. I will miss her terribly.

And what better way to spend my last night at camp than to play 6-player Bananagrams post a second viewing of Scott Pilgrim? I could think of no other alternate awesomeness.

Goodbye to all my friends and family at Buck's Rock. I hope you know which category you belong to and why.

With love to you all. Expect in cases where it would be creepy to love you.

Fruit of the Moment: Seltzer Refill

2 comments: