Thursday, August 26, 2010

One?


Greetings from the Magic Kingdom. Here I am being a goose in the middle of Main Street USA.

My first day of Disneyworld was spent in the Magic Kingdom. Once there, I successfully completed the park in just under 7 hours. By completing I mean went on every ride save for those that would be uncomfortable for a 26 year old man traveling by himself to ride on. The Tea Cups were a must, but public and awkward I felt. Especially being alone.

The Magic Kingdom plays home to attractions like Space Mountain, The Haunted Mansion, The Pirates of the Caribbean, and Splash Mountain. Such a shame that It's A Small Word is currently closed for repairs. Pity.

I realised early on in the day that I was long overdue for some rest. Falling asleep at 11am while watching the country bear's jubilee was a clear sign that I was exhausted. The best rides of the day were of course Space Mountain: a roller-coaster in pitch blackness (x3), Splash Mountain, and animated interactive stand up show Monster's INC. Laugh Floor (x2). The worst rides included: STICH'S GREAT ESCAPE (shudder), Country Bear Jamboree (snore), and The Enchanted Tiki Room UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT (contemporary sigh).

Best Disneyworld feature evah? A handy thing called FASTPASS. Where you get a ticket for a ride that would have a long line. Go away for 1 hour visiting another ride or grabbing lunch and then cut the line at the designated time you were given on the FASTPASS. It means you can be waiting in two long lines at once. Cutting your time in HALF!

More significantly, Disney does not equal vegetarian. In fact, they go the whole hog. Visitor's meat of choice was this huge Flintstone-like leg bone thing. Everyone held the bottom of the leg and tore the hunky flesh from the top. It looked like a giant meat ice-cream cone. URGH! Notably healthy menu choices for vegetarians include: sugar cookies, cheese & pesto focaccia, freedom fries and coffee. And the one place that sells beans as the third option to beef and chicken, closes at 4pm.

My longest conversation today was at 9:30pm when I purchased a photo of my third turn on Space Mountain from a handsome man receptive to over the counter flirting. It lasted I'd say 4 minutes at most. And he was good at conversation.

Other than this, my day was devoid of human contact. I kept getting compartments to myself on rides, eating by myself in cafeterias and I realised this isn't fun alone.

I'm toying with going to Portland.

Fruit of the Moment: Coffee Thick-shake

No comments:

Post a Comment