Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I don't think this is an appropriate song for clapping.

Exhaustion. And tiredness. And want of quitting. These things are piling up on my plate.

Generally speaking in the layout department I have taken on a delegation role for 2010. So pretty much the same as last year. Only this year, I can visually see clues that people are starting to get peeved when I work over their shoulder. When I interrupt their work and suggest how to improve it. When I basically am being a bitch in charge and knowing for sure that what they're trying to do wont work with out press system.

Today, our head of shop confronted me with an issue that has been floating around the shop all summer. Our press man wants credit for printing on every individual program through the summer. My take on this is that once this happens, we will need to include many more names like copy editor and show liaison etc.. and things could get out of hand. As it stood, only the designer is credited for their work.

I need to take a moment to explain how complicated credits are at Buck's Rock. Since the designer is dealing with multiple theatrical divisions each with a list ten miles long of names, It is very very important to establish
a) required names and
b) category order
doing the above allows the theatre liaison to justify why, say a lighting assistant would go before a sound board operator or a grip.

Adding more people to the list creates an imbalance of order and fairness overall.

In any case, our head of shop confronted me that it should happen, and then refused to make me do it asking what I wanted to do. I figured in the long run its better to take out the designer's credit to avoid any he-gets-more-credit-than-me-issues. Long story short, my name was taken out of the program for this evening's and every future program.

The tribute show to music from movies was phenomenal. I got to introduce Somewhere Over the Rainbow in my best (and apparently accurate) impersonation of Judy Garland. It went something along the lines of a Rufus Wainwright / Judy Garland concert moment.

Fruit of the Moment: Cheese Polenta

No comments:

Post a Comment