Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tell Amanda hi, and that she's a bitch.

Today was supposed to be a day off for me. Luckily, a few weeks prior to this I had arranged to switch days enabling a visit to New Jersey and the amazing Amanda, whom I met last year at camp.

Hour one: mission to find a driver to SECRETLY drive me to Harlem Valley Wingdale station before 6:20pm. SECRETLY because tonight is the compulsory staff meeting that I won't be attending. In my travels, I find a broken Head of Set shop: Cameron McFee yelling at a dazed and bewildered head of Theatre: Sam Kuznets for the lack of communication, skill, funding and support he had received this year. Arguing that everything this year was done for no money and in very little time with incompetent people at the last minute. ONLY to be torn down hours after completion in preparation to repeat the whole process with less money and time. This system is screwed up the ass in the non fun way.

The day went by so fast. I managed to plate my way through enough material to keep Bob happy for a week. Ian had agreed to drive me to the station on the proviso that I brought back Jelly Bellies for him. DONE.

So, the downfall of leaving camp today was that I wouldn't get to say goodbye to the six weekers who leave tomorrow. So I had to make my final goodbyes at the last minute. After racing through the entire camp to wish Spencer good bye, I finnaly met up with him minutes before my departure by a loud speaker announcement at the office, effectively announcing to the camp that I was leaving on a staff meeting night. In any case, I was on my way.

I waited like an hour and a half at Grand Central Station for Amanda to turn up, and got to read the entire manuscript of the play REASONS TO BE PRETTY before she arrived and we traversed down to times square to indulge in TONY'S OF ITALY. And let me tell you, it was fabulous. The meals were amazing, and bigger than any decent sized poodle I know.

The three hour epic drive home to New Jersey at 2am in the morning was pretty darn awesome.

It was SO amazing to finally meet up with someone who had a true impact on my life as a whole from last year. I mean, this woman was the person who told me I could be a bitch and people would still like me. She told me I could be a designer, because I'm good at it. And she told me to stop designing amazing stuff for free because graphic design is not a hobby, it is a skill.

Fruit of the Moment: Family Size

No comments:

Post a Comment