Sunday, September 5, 2010

So, you were the first to greet me.

Fresh from an in hotel triple movie experience of Iron Man 2, Tooth fairy and Nightmare on Elm Street, comes todays epic positing of KenneyBlogg:

Being my first day at Universal, I had breakfast reservations at the Three Broomsticks. And given my excitement, I had expected something better than what I was presented with.

Taking the boat from My hotel room dock, I arrived at Islands of Adventure and set about in search of the Harry Potter island. With it, I found massive quantities of meat (save for the "traditional english porridge" which happened to be very lump oatmeal in worse shape than Buck's Rock take on the traditional breakfast food).

It was another great start to a depressingly disappointing holiday. I left breakfast asap and headed up to Hogwarts for the Forbidden Journey ride inside. There was this girl who loved my t-shirt standing behind me in the line. So while waiting, I established a smalltalk based bond with her family. This enabled me to not only feel overwhelmed at the level of detailUniversal had gone to with building Hogwarts, but also name all of them spotted to the family behind me like a real life Potter Trivia Safari Bingo thing. By the time I found the corridor housing the Sorting Hat, I couldn't contain myself and started crying in public. Like, not privately when I cried at the Disney fireworks but real open tears of overwhelment. Lucky it was dark in the corridor. And in the ride. I had transcended into this fantasy they created and became genuinely frightened at all the ghouls they sent my way on the most thrilling ride this trip has had to offer. It was magical.

The remainder of the day sucked big time. Especially the Dudley Doo Right water log ride, which both saturated you with water after every decent as well as pouring a bucket of water on top of you (just in case) while you were waiting in line to disembark. I mean, that was fucking rude. It wasn't even part of the ride. It was while you were trapped waiting, soaked and getting all your gear out to take with you. Thats just plain stupid. I hope my disposable camera survived.

Of course, the Olivander's line was an hour long. And when I got in, I discovered the wands they were selling were made from resin moulds, not wood. Bleh.

But of course none of this mattered in comparison to how amazing Hogwarts actually was. I'm scared to go back now. Because from my experience, when you go somewhere you thought was amazing, the second time turns out to be awful. I'm looking at you, summer camps of Connecticut.

Happy Birthday Noah.

Fruit of the Moment: Rainbow Sprinkles

No comments:

Post a Comment