Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Yay for not being poor soon

Apparently, when the NSW Institute of Teachers informs you no longer can teach, it is an empty threat of lies. Today and the 27 9-year-olds I taught proved this.

When driving to work, it frightened me that I would be teaching people who have not seen a time outside this millennium. A generation of children plugged into technology from their very birth. This concerns and frightens me on many levels. Mainly due to how dependent we are on technology, partly because it makes me old.

So the class was predictably bad behaved. Granted, it was a windy day which seems to stir up children more so than non windy days and that they had been without their real teacher for over 3 weeks. But other than this there was the general shit you have to deal with when a new face comes into the room. This is the part of teaching I hate. The establishing shop part.

Sometimes it would be nice to provide, say an instruction without having to back it up with behaviour management strategies.

This class had 5 boys and 4 girls who found every opportunity they could to interrupt, argue and blame others. Why bother putting in time to solve the problem when you're gone tomorrow? Basically they're all bananas because their stable learning environment has been invaded every day for three weeks. How would you like it if you got a new boss every day for 15 days straight? They'd all run things differently enough to piss you off no doubt.

Anyway, I manage to with much pomp and circumstance reschedule my 2pm resume appointment tomorrow with the work solutions mob centerlink had placed me with, allowing me to attend a fourth viewing of Scott Pilgrim Versus the World tonight at Wollongong Uni.

PILGRIM was amazing with a crowd of 600 people. Especially when you have the company of your sister to talk to on the ride there and keep you awake on the drive home. That movie is slowly cementing its way to my top movie spot.

Fruit of the Moment: Burning Tofu

1 comment:

  1. I must just be a quotable dude.

    And with the changing-of-bosses thing, this happened to me in Year 1. Had two teachers that would swap over weekly and they disliked the arrangement of the tables that each of them had organised, so LITERALLY every monday morning we spent rearranging the desks so as to please the teacher. Then, next monday, move them back to how the other teacher liked them. Haha

    ReplyDelete